Monday, December 29, 2008

Our Christmas 2008

While a few of you may all ready have heard, we are telling the story here so we can avoid telling it in person to everyone.
In Mid November, Tia and I thought we wanted to have another baby. We got her IUD out November 7th, and by the 15, we were pregnant. We waited about a month before we told anyone just to make sure we weren't getting some sort of false positive.
Once both of our families found out, we were about to start telling friends and more distant family. That's when Tia began to bleed a little. Since she has had this with both out other children, it was no too concerning, and we went along our merry and excited way. Then, the pain on one side started on about the 20th of December, Saturday. We went to her Cousins wedding that day, but on Sunday, the pain got worse. Monday, we went to her OB and he took some blood for HCG levels and wanted us back on Wednesday for a second round so he could compare the two levels and see if the pregnancy was progressing as should be. We didn't make it to Wednesday. We were at the Cabin Tuesday evening when Tia had to go to bed and she just curled in bed until Midnight it was too bad and we called her Doctor. He told her to get to the nearest E.R. and get checked out. That sent us to Heber Valley Medical just after midnight on Christmas eve Morning. We were there for about 5 hours and they told us they thought we were just miss carrying, the pain is normal, but we may have what is called a Molar Pregnancy where the Placenta is cancerous. There was nothing to do other then let it pass and try to rest. We went back to the cabin and tried to enjoy the rest of Christmas.
The day after Christmas, Friday morning, we got back with her OB and he wanted to re-test what the doctor in Heber had said. Tia was feeling better that day so he sent us home telling us that the doctor in Heber was not an OB fort a reason, and was way off. There was nothing in the Uterus which meant no Molar Pregnancy, but also something else was wrong. He sent us home for the rest of the day but gave us his cell number in case the pain came back and told us NOT to leave the valley. He said if there is something wrong, he wants us where he can get to us.
No big deal the rest of that day, and we even got a good nights sleep that night.
Saturday morning everything started well. I got up and got the kids changed and ready for the day, then asked Tia to get up and make the kids breakfast while I showered for work. I was in the shower for about 15-20 minutes when I got out to the kitchen ready to go to work, only to find Tia on the floor in the kitchen curled up in pain. She said it was different then the pain she had the other day, and was covering more of her abdomen then last time. She thought it was just bad cramps leading to the miss carriage, which we expected. I called her sister Tiana who is in town and asked her to come down and be with her and the kids since Tia didn't think she needed to go to the doctor, but I could see she wasn't going to be much good for the kids. Tiana got there and off to work I went. It was now 9:30 and I told Tia that if the pain hadn't reduced by 10:00, we were going to the E.R. at Davis where our doctor wanted us. I was at work for about 10 minutes when Karyn, Tia's mom called and said she had just been on the phone with Tia, and it was getting worse and to get her to the Hospital. We got to Davis Hospital just after ten, and Tia was in Emergency Surgery by noon. Turns out the pregnancy was an Ectopic, meaning it was in her Fallopian Tube, and it had BURST. She was bleeding to death.
They got her out of Surgery just before 2pm. Her mom had come down from the cabin and was there with me at the hospital. The doctor came out just as soon as he could and told us they were not able to fix the tube because of such severe damage. That meant Tia would only have one working Ovary and Tube for any future pregnancy. He said he did preserve the tissue so that if we had difficulty getting pregnant from the one side alone, he would go back in and try to reattach the tube on the damaged side. Other then that, they were able to stop all the bleeding, performed a D and C which removes all the pregnancy tissues, and stabilize Tia from losing 1.5 pints of blood. She was a lot closer to death then anyone thought.
Now we've had a few days to rest, with the help of Tia's Mom mostly, and certainly a few others including a few of Tias brothers and sisters. Tia is still recovering at home for now, then will go to the cabin with her family for the rest of the week so she can get well, and have help with the kids while I stay home and go to work.
All things considered, we are very fortunate to to have Tia with us still, and I am grateful to everyone for all the help. I love my wife very much and am glad the doctors were able to catch the problem before it got any worse. I'm grateful again to everyone that has helped us out, called with love, and said prayers in our behalf. You're welcome to call Tia at home if you like, but now you know the story, and maybe she won't have to go over it too many times more.

Love you all,


Blogger Ashlee and Jake said...

Ryan Thanks for being such a great husband to Tia! You know where to find Jake and I if you need any help with dinner or the kids! I still feel bad that I wasn't there Sat when I see that I was really needed! I love you guys all so much! I am too happy that Tia is ok!

December 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger Katie Jo said...

Ryan and Tia... I am so sorry for you loss! That is so hard.. I watched my best friend go through the same thing. Her ectopic didn't burst.. but was the size of a grapefruit.. so they ended up having to remove the whole thing also. 3 months after her surgery, she was pregnant and just had her baby a few months ago! I'm sure you guys will be able to have more.. even with 1 tube! God loves you both and you are always so faithful and strong that you will be able to through your faith! I love you both and PLEASE let us know if you need anything! Love, KATIE AND TRENT

December 29, 2008 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger scott and christy gilvear said...

I am so sorry you both went through that! I am glad they caught it in time and that she is recovering. What a way to spend the holidays!

December 29, 2008 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger Brooks and Mandy said...

We love you guys and you are in our prayers. Please know that prayers are answered and to you will get through these trials and i know more than anyone that is not easy to hear or want to believe right now. Please know we are here for you if you need us. Love you both lots and take care of yourselves!

January 2, 2009 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Brett and Chanel Giles Family said...

PLease let me know if I can do anything to help I will be there in a moments notice!!! I hope you are feeling better. Love ya
PS I can't believe you told me not to worry in the text you are too Brave!

January 3, 2009 at 8:42 PM  
Blogger Todd and Ryann said...

Hey you guys I just wanted to tell you again that I love you and I'm thinking of you both. It's such a hard thing to go through but it will get better. I miss you here in Iowa. Can't wait to see you when we come to visit.

January 7, 2009 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger Tara & Ricky said...

Wow, what a scary experience you guys!! And an even better way to spend the holidays... NOT!!! I'm glad everything is ok and we will definitely keep you guys in our prayers! Love you!!!

January 21, 2009 at 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home